Saturday, March 9, 2013

Review - The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection



I bought The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection from Amazon.com. It claims to be every movie that Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce made - all fourteen. So far I don't see any reason to doubt that claim.

THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES
THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES
SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE VOICE OF TERROR
SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE SECRET WEAPON
SHERLOCK HOLMES IN WASHINGTON
SHERLOCK HOLMES FACES DEATH
SHERLOCK HOLMES IN THE SPIDER WOMAN
SHERLOCK HOLMES THE SCARLET CLAW
SHERLOCK HOLMES IN PEARL OF DEATH
SHERLOCK HOLMES HOUSE OF FEAR
SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE WOMAN IN GREEN
SHERLOCK HOLMES PURSUIT TO ALGIERS
SHERLOCK HOLMES TERROR BY NIGHT
SHERLOCK HOLMES DRESSED TO KILL

I love watching them and I usually watch one a night. I've seen them all many times by now, but every time I watch them I see new things that I didn't notice before; which makes it more interesting. I realize that it's just entertainment really , where the criminals are smart, almost as smart as Sherlock Holmes, and everyone else is clueless (the police and Dr. Watson.) Things are sometimes staged just to showcase how much "smarter" than everyone else Sherlock Holmes is!

I love the world of Sherlock Holmes - which is the Forties (although The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes takes place in the Horse/Buggy/TopHat days - which is interesting)

I love the women of Sherlock Holmes and their dresses! (The Woman in Green, Dressed to Kill, The Spider Woman)

Most of them are made by Universal Pictures but a couple are 20th Century Fox.

I guess I'd have to say that Sherlock Holmes and the House of Fear is currently my favorite!

4 comments:

  1. We will have lots to chat about! I have been on such a Sherlock Holmes kick this winter! I just ordered a bunch of Basil Rathbone movies from the library and should be picking those up tomorrow. I really like his portrayal of Sherlock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justine - I ordered a bunch of horror movies - even including Vincent Price - but Rathbone's Sherlock is what I seem to keep re-watching. They keep me mentally engaged. I've watched other actors and I've noticed that the choice of Watsons makes a big difference. And I easily found about 8 of these full length movies on YouTube, so most of them are very accessible. Well, it'll be interesting to see what movies you get, Basil Rathbone's ability to play "snide" and "snippy" really makes the movie Son of Frankenstein.

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean! The Basil Rathbone Sherlock movies are downright addictive! I had some as a part of a DVD set but needed to rent more from the library, because I was getting used to watching them every night. Last night I watched 'Sherlock Holmes and The Voice of Terror' and tonight I watched 'Sherlock Holmes Faces Death'. Both were really good! The filming in the first one reminded me of our discussion about old black and white dramas/thrillers and the shadows being cast. Some of the closeups on people's faces were great in that one! The one I watched tonight had a lot of that snide and snippy you mentioned. :) There were a few plot twists there!

    I agree about the casting of Watson being important. I've seen Watsons that ranged from strong and helpful to downright daffy! This one is pretty daffy with the occasional moments of helpfulness. Those moments are mostly accidental, though. It's funny to see the different Mrs. Hudsons too. Some are sweet and some are (rightfully) irritated with Sherlock shooting holes in the walls, etc.

    I don't have 'The House of Fear' so I'll rent that one next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justine - They are all really good! There really isn't a bad one. What is remarkable to me is that I'm actually excited to watch them over and over again when I already know what happens. Every time I watch one I see little details that I missed that makes it seem new. The Voice of Terror is good - the woman in it also played in Son of Dracula and Ghost of Frankenstein.

      The Woman in Green used to be my favorite - it all takes place in London. However, I've grown to like ones with changing settings like The Scarlet Claw where they go outside and go to different dwellings.

      Faces Death is probably my second favorite now.

      I rented the Hammer film The Hound of the Baskerville's starring Peter Cushing as Holmes and Christopher Lee as the young Baskerville. Peter Cushing is good as Holmes - both he and Rathbone have the necessary intensity. The story was a lot different and I'd have to say more intriguing - but the two are like comparing apples and oranges, both are good!

      Delete