Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Review - Devils of Darkness


I watched Devils of Darkness again last night for the second time. I was expecting it to be only slightly spooky and borderline boring. However, I was soon surprised to find myself actually impressed with the costumes and atmosphere - I actually got caught up in the drama! It seems that the rouge edges, the disparate parts, and the general lack of colorfulness was smoothed out by an increased comprehension of the plot. Repeated viewings has saved Devils of Darkness elevating it to classic status! It’s hard to remember the vampire guy is a vampire when top-hat and cape are replaced by cult red robes worn only at rituals. The victimized vampire lady-folk are Hammer horror hot with gypsy flair! All-in-all, not bad!

2 comments:

  1. Is this a Hammer movie? The women aren't the only classic Hammer element here. There's the dark ritual that tends to show up, and a lot of drama. I've never heard of this movie, but it looks like something I should be familiar with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Justine! No, the movie is not a Hammer movie! But the women are gorgeous like in Hammer movies! Yeah, I dug this up from Amazon and decided to take a chance. It was a double-feature with Witchcraft starring Lon Chaney. Yes, it's very cult 1970's style. If you like Hammer Dracula movies then you would like this.

      Delete